Digg Delicious Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Linkedin
Latest News WE’RE ON THE UP NOW VOWS DUNDEE STALWART MCGOWAN
[Image: 586b949467620-e1483449885321-873x575.jpg]

Dundee are on the up according to midfielder Paul McGowan after they “wiped the floor” with St Johnstone on Saturday.

The Hogmanay Tayside derby saw the Dark Blues finish 2016 in some style as they strolled to a 3-0 victory over Saints at Dens Park.

And, for McGowan, the emphatic display showed just how well Dundee can perform.

He said: “We know how good we can be — we proved it on Saturday against a good St Johnstone team.

“I felt we dominated and I’m trying to think of a chance they had.

“We worked really well and had a good balance in the team.

“We worked on a shape and, ultimately, it paid off.

“All credit to the coaching staff and the players. It’s nice to get a win and go into the break happy.”

After a troublesome opening to the season that saw McGowan and his team-mates beaten six times on the bounce amid a 10-game run without victory in the Premiership, the Dark Blues now sit level on points with seventh-placed Partick Thistle.

[Image: 586b94916a196-758x575.jpg]

Recently, though, they’ve been grabbing wins, most notably at home where they have picked up 13 points from a possible 15 in their last five at Dens Park.

“It’s been up and down but we’re not far off how many games we won last season when you look at it like that,” said McGowan.

“People say we lost, lost, lost but last season we drew, we drew, we drew.

“It’s so difficult to just go on that wee run because anybody can beat anybody but I feel we’ve got enough in the squad.

“I think the gaffer’s looking to bring in a couple of new additions and, hopefully, kick us on again.

“It just shows you the way we played against a good St Johnstone team, they got a draw against Rangers and we went and wiped the floor with them 3-0.

“We know we can do it, it’s just about consistency and that’s been letting us down.

“But you look at last year and we’re not far off winning the same amount of games as last season, so it’s not all doom and gloom.

“We’re on the up now, I feel as if we’re turning a corner slowly but surely, so we can only keep going.”

The victory also saw Dundee open up a gap to the teams at the foot of the table — five to Hamilton and six to bottom-of-the-table Inverness.

McGowan, though, isn’t concerned by the teams at the foot of the Premiership table.

He has his sights on a bigger prize.

“We’re not looking down, we’ve got to look up,” he added.

“That’s the only way I feel, with this team that we’ve got.

“We’ve got to look up, there’s no point in looking over your shoulder all season.

“You go on a run of two or three games and it pushes you right out of it and into the top six.

“It’s everything to play for and all the other teams will be saying the exact same.

“I’m just really pleased with the way we went about our business on Saturday.

“We dominated the game. It was a great game to play in, it’s always nice winning 3-0, getting a clean sheet after the disappointment at Partick.

“I didn’t feel we played badly there, just two bad goals we lost.

“Saturday makes up for it, though, and we go into the break with a win.

“We’ll come back and, hopefully, kick on.

“Everybody about the dressing-room is buzzing, so it’s a happy place.”