Digg Delicious Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Linkedin
Latest News Dundee’s Craig Wighton looking for goals to reward Hartley faith
[Image: 3f8641d5-da2c-41e4-b583-199ec999b00f-940x529.jpg]

Dundee forward Craig Wighton has targeted more goals after establishing himself as a first-team regular.

The 19-year-old has started the last nine games ahead of Wednesday’s Ladbrokes Premiership clash with Partick Thistle and helped Paul Hartley’s side climb from three points adrift at the bottom to three points clear of 12th spot.

Wighton has impressed with his skill, creativity and ability to keep possession and create chances, while forming an effective partnership with Marcus Haber. And he now aims to add to his one goal this season.

“I need to score more goals, playing as a striker,” Wighton said. ” I’m not an out-and-out finisher, I like to create chances and work hard for the team.

“But obviously goals are something people will look at when you are a striker. So I could definitely add that to my game. But I just need to keep learning and playing as many games as I can.”

Wighton looks set to continue doing that after catching the eye in recent matches.

“Obviously it’s frustrating when you are not playing and when you do get the chance it’s up to you to keep yourself in the team and prove a point,” he said. “Thankfully I have done that recently and the gaffer has shown a lot of faith in me.

“It’s good playing every week and me and Marcus are playing well together.

“Now it’s just up to me to keep playing well and keep doing my job for the team. The whole team has been brilliant.”

Wighton had already made his first-team debut as a 16-year-old before Hartley took over in February 2014 and the manager sent the teenager on loan spells to Brechin and Raith Rovers while gently introducing him to top-flight football.

“He has been really good since he came in,” Wighton said. “He has had a plan for me, he couldn’t just rush me into the team the way the fans wanted. I wasn’t ready, I knew that myself and he knew that. He waited and gave me the opportunity now and showed faith in me.

“When we got beat by Partick he could easily have taken me out the team again because fans were on everyone’s back. He showed faith in me and kept me in the team and I just look to repay him with good performances and if I can score a few more goals, it will be great.”

Haber and Wighton made their first appearance together in a 2-0 defeat by Thistle in October, before Dundee turned their form around three days later with victory at Hamilton.

And the pair have proved a reliable partnership since then with the Canada international on three goals.

“We complement each other really well,” Wighton said. “We are complete opposites but it’s good for me to work off him. He will occupy defenders and it gives me a lot more space.

“For me running off him, he knows if he is flicking it on then there is someone trying to get there. We have both created goals and chances for each other and it’s up to us to keep that going.”