Digg Delicious Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Linkedin
Development defeat to Partick
[Image: 24-10-2016-Dundee-under-20s-v-Partick-Thistle-10480.jpg]

The Under 20’s were beaten 2-1 by Partick Thistle at Links Park in the Development League. The Jags found themselves two to the good at half time courtesy of goals from Kevin Nisbet and Ian Stokes. Kerr Waddell halved the deficit midway through the second period but the Dees couldn’t find an equaliser.

After a bright start from the Dees, Partick were ahead after seven minutes. Mark Lamont played the ball through to Kevin Nisbet who beat the offside trap and slotted the ball past Calum Ferrie from 12 yards out.

Dundee responded well and were nearly level five minutes later. Taylor Berry broke forward from the midfield and slipped the ball into Jesse Curran, but the midfielders shot was easily saved by Connor Cullen in the Partick goal.

Kerr Waddell did well to block Neil McLaughlin’s effort after 26 minutes. The Dee’s should have been level on the half hour mark. Ian Smith broke down the right wing and picked out Josh Skelly, but the striker couldn’t connect properly and the ball ended up wide of the mark.

The visitors extended their lead five minutes before the break courtesy of Ian Stokes. A series of quick passes resulted in the right back finding space at the top of the Dundee box, and the Partick man stroked the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Things nearly got better for Partick minutes later. Lamont managed to lift the ball over Ferrie into the path of Nesbit, but Brian Rice did well see the ball out for a goal kick. 

The second half started with both sides looking for goals, but neither goalkeeper was called into action. Partick would have been three ahead after 70 minutes, but Calum Ferrie produced a stunning save to keep substitute James Stokes header out of the net.

Dundee went up the pitch and won a corner of their own. Taylor Berry’s delivery was met by Kerr Waddell who sent his header crashing against the underside of the crossbar, before the ball bounced over the line.

With three minutes left, Dundee had a golden chance to go level. Reigan Thomson’s long free kick wasn’t dealt with by Cullen, but Ian Smith’s volley was off target. In the 90th minute, Ian Smith picked out Kyle Clark, but the winger dragged his shot wide, and Partick took all three points.

Despite the defeat, there were plenty of positives for Dundee to take from this match. Kerr Waddell was a standout again, while Ian Smith caused the Thistle backline plenty of issues. On another day, the Dees might have taken a point from this game but today, it wasn’t to be.

Dundee (4-2-3-1): Ferrie, Allan, Waddell, Smyth, Rice, Curran (Thomson 77), Berry, I. Smith, Skelly (Clark 54), Coupe (Moore 67), M. Smith

Subs Unused: Gourlay

Goal: Waddell 72’

Booked: Skelly

Partick: Cullen, I. Stokes, Penrice, McInally, McMullin, Wilson, Lamont, Docherty, Nisbet (J. Stokes 66), McCarthy, McLaughlin

Subs Unused: Hero, Hall, Fleming

Goals: Nisbet 7’, I. Stokes 40’

Booked: Wilson, Cullen

Report: Andrew Creegan


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)